Computed Tomography Scans at UME Health
Precise Medical Imaging for Diagnosis and Monitoring
- CT scans, or computed tomography scans, are medical imaging tests that use ionising X-rays and computer technology to create detailed cross-sectional images of the body. They are used to diagnose and monitor various medical conditions.
- CT scans provide information about organ size, shape, and location, aiding healthcare professionals in making accurate diagnoses and developing effective treatment plans.
Sharper Insights and Procedural Precision
- The benefits of CT scans include their ability to detect certain abnormalities with diagnostic precision.
- They can also be used to guide medical procedures, such as biopsies or surgeries, increasing their usefulness in the field of medicine.
CT scans are non-invasive and typically quick, making them a convenient option for patients.
The Diverse Range of Conditions CT Scans Detect and Monitor
- CT scans can diagnose various conditions, like lung diseases, serious conditions of the abdomen, and neurological disorders, and help identify concealed injuries in trauma cases, making them a valuable tool in emergency medicine.
- CT scans also monitor disease progression over time, allowing doctors to adjust treatment plans accordingly.
Getting a CT Scan at UME Health
Scheduling Made Simple
Booking an appointment at UME Health is relatively straightforward. Patients can either schedule an appointment through the online portal or by calling the clinic directly.
Preparation and Instructions
Once the appointment is confirmed, patients will be given specific instructions on how to prepare for the scan, such as fasting or avoiding certain medications.
On the day of the scan
- Patients will be guided to a comfortable examination room, where they will be positioned on a table that slides into the CT scanner.
- The CT scanner will make buzzing and clicking noises as it takes images of the body. The scan itself is painless and usually takes only a few minutes to complete.
Aftercare and Follow-up
Patients will be given clear post-scan care instructions, including avoiding strenuous activities, taking specific medications, and scheduled follow-up appointments to discuss scan results and the next steps for effective medical management.
UME Health Radiology Consultants
Why choose our CT scanner?
Our new CT scanner facilitates lower exposure to radiation compared with other CT scanners. The GE Revolution CT uses intelligent technology designed to acquire high-quality images using lower doses of radiation.
Is it safe?
CT scans are quick, painless, and generally safe. However, you will be exposed to small doses of X-ray radiation that will vary depending on how much of your body is scanned. The benefits and risks of having a CT scan will always be evaluated before it is recommended by your clinical team.
Many CT scans also involve injecting a dye (known as a ‘contrast dye’) into a vein to increase the clarity of body tissues on the scan. As with all injections, there is a small risk you could have an allergic reaction to the contrast dye used but our expert medical team on site is well equipped to support you if this happens.
Will it be comfortable?
We will make sure you are as comfortable as possible. The CT scan itself is not disruptive.
Few simple instructions before your scan:
Contact us, after receiving your appointment letter, if you have any allergies, kidney problems, taking diabetes medication, or if you are pregnant
You may be advised to avoid eating anything for several hours before your appointment, to help ensure that clear images are taken
Ensure you wear loose comfortable clothes and leave valuable possessions, such as jewellery and watches, at home
The scan - what to expect
CT scans typically last 15-30 minutes and are not disruptive.
For patients having a contrast dye, this is given at the beginning of the scan and may produce a warm feeling in the body and a sour taste in the mouth – this is very common and passes quickly.
After the scan
Patients who have been given a contrast injection may be asked to stay in the waiting area for up to 15 minutes to ensure that they are fit and well.
Fluid intake following scans is always encouraged. Results are usually ready within 24-48 hours and sent to the referring clinician.
Why Choose UME Health Harley Street
We offer self-payment options, and we can provide you with a breakdown of the expenses linked to your treatment.
Fast Scans and Results
We offer exclusive consultations every day at our specialised diagnostic facility and results of scans will be reported and delivered within 2 days.
Local GP Available
In case you're in need of immediate private GP attention, UME Health provides expedited services for the same purpose.
Friendly and Welcoming Staff
At our clinic, we take pride in our friendly and welcoming staff. We want our patients to feel welcome and cared for.
CT scan patients FAQs
Welcome to our FAQ section about CT scans! We understand that as a patient, you may have many questions and concerns regarding this medical procedure. That is why we have carefully selected a range of common questions that we believe you may be interested in. In the section below, you will find detailed answers to these questions, providing you with the information you need to feel more informed and at ease about CT scans. Whether you are curious about the procedure itself, its benefits, or any potential risks, we aim to address all your queries here. So, let us help you find the answers you are searching for and provide the clarity you need about CT scans.
UME Health Patients Reviews
At our clinic, we strive to provide the best possible care to our patients. We are dedicated to ensuring that each patient has a positive treatment experience and receives the best possible care from industry consultants. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and welcoming environment where our patients feel cared for and supported throughout their treatment journey. We value our patients' feedback and are committed to continuously improving our services to meet their needs.
UME Group LLP. Registration number: OC333533. A Company Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 17 Harley Street, London, W1G 9QH ©Copyright 2023 - UME Group LLP. Built and maintained by Dezign41 London