Visualising the Unseen with Ultrasound
Sound Waves in Action
Ultrasound scans are non-invasive medical procedures that use high-frequency sound waves to create images within our bodies.
These scans are commonly used to monitor the health and development of a foetus during pregnancy, as well as to diagnose and evaluate various conditions in different parts of the body, such as the abdomen, lungs, pelvis, or heart.
Safe and Radiation-Free
Ultrasound scans are safe, painless, and do not involve any radiation exposure, making them a widely used diagnostic tool in healthcare settings.
Types of Ultrasound Scans
- Exploring the Ultrasound Toolkit
- Different types of ultrasound scans are used in day-to-day practice, which include transabdominal, transvaginal, doppler, and endoscopic ultrasound.
- Transabdominal scans
- The most common type involves applying a gel to the abdomen and using a handheld device called a transducer to create images.
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- It involves inserting a probe into the vagina to obtain clearer and more detailed images of the pelvic organs.
- Flow Insights with Doppler: Doppler ultrasound uses sound waves to measure blood flow in the body and is often used to assess blood flow within the heart or vessels.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- When more detailed imaging is required or there is poor acquisition of images due to the unfavourable position of the organ or tissue, an internal ultrasound scan may be necessary.
- Which involves the passing of an ultrasound probe attached to a long tube into the oral cavity and then into the digestive system to visualise organs and tissues in the gastrointestinal tract.
- This technique allows for detailed imaging of the oesophagus, stomach, and other structures that are not easily accessible with traditional ultrasound methods.
Benefits of Ultrasound Scans at UME Health
Ultrasound scans do not involve radiation exposure like X-rays or CT scans.
- Ultrasound scans are generally safe and painless for patients.
- They provide real-time imaging, allowing healthcare professionals to immediately assess and diagnose abnormalities or conditions.
What to Expect During an Ultrasound Scan
- Comfort is Key
- You can expect to lie on a comfortable examination table while a trained technician applies a gel to the area being examined. The technician will then use a handheld device called a transducer to glide over the gel-covered area, emitting sound waves that create images on a monitor.
- Quick and Simple
- The procedure is usually quick, and you may be asked to change positions or hold your breath briefly for better imaging.
UME Health Radiology Consultants
What is an ultrasound?
An ultrasound scan, sometimes called a sonogram,
is a procedure that uses high-frequency sound waves to
create an image of parts of the inside of the body.
Is it safe?
Ultrasound scans are painless and there
are no known associated risks.
Will it be comfortable?
Ultrasound scans do not cause any pain
or discomfort and we will make sure you
are as comfortable as possible.
Before your ultrasound scan, you may be
asked to follow certain instructions:
Drink water and have a full bladder
until after the scan
Avoid eating several hours before a
scan for your digestive system
The scan and what to expect
Patients are usually asked to lie down whilst the radiologist places a probe on the skin over the body part that is to be examined.
As the images are detected by the
probe, they are displayed on the monitor in real-time.
The scan is painless and takes approximately 15-45 minutes
dependent on the area.
After the scan
Patients are generally able to continue as
normal after their scan unless they are having procedures with an interventional element.
Results are usually read within 24-48 hours
and sent to the referring clinician.
Why Choose UME Health Harley Street
We offer self-payment options, and we can provide you with a breakdown of the expenses linked to your treatment.
Fast Scans and Results
We offer exclusive consultations every day at our specialised diagnostic facility and results of scans will be reported and delivered within 2 days.
Local GP Available
In case you're in need of immediate private GP attention, UME Health provides expedited services for the same purpose.
Friendly and Welcoming Staff
At our clinic, we take pride in our friendly and welcoming staff. We want our patients to feel welcome and cared for.
Ultrasound scan patients FAQs
Welcome to our FAQ section about our private ultrasound scan in London. Here, we have carefully curated a list of questions that patients like you may have regarding ultrasound procedures and technology. We understand that the world of medical imaging can often be overwhelming, and it is our goal to provide you with clear and concise answers to ease any concerns or confusion you may have. Whether you are curious about the safety of ultrasound, the different types of ultrasound scans available, or what to expect during an ultrasound appointment, this section below will help you find the information you need. So, sit back, relax, and let us guide you through the world of ultrasound.
UME Health Patients Reviews
At our clinic, we strive to provide the best possible care to our patients. We are dedicated to ensuring that each patient has a positive treatment experience and receives the best possible care from industry consultants. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and welcoming environment where our patients feel cared for and supported throughout their treatment journey. We value our patients' feedback and are committed to continuously improving our services to meet their needs.
UME Group LLP. Registration number: OC333533. A Company Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 17 Harley Street, London, W1G 9QH ©Copyright 2023 - UME Group LLP. Built and maintained by Dezign41 London